Thursday, January 27, 2011

Last Night in Volterra

Well today we reached another benchmark in our trip: our last full day in Volterra. My World Religions class had our final presentations and papers due today so after all that mess was over, we decided to take it easy and hang around the SIAF. The group met up for one last soccer match. It's always fun playing with those guys and I really look forward to the workout! I need all the exercise I can get with all the pasta I've consumed this month.

After that excitement I went back into my room and got ready for our last Tuscan group dinner. We invited Fausto, our personal driver in Volterra and our campus organizer, Giada. We are at the same restaurant we went to for our first group dinner in Volterra and had a really special last meal. We thanked our guests for all their help and they both briefly spoke about how much of a pleasure it was having us in Volterra. Sometimes when you immerse yourself in a new culture you forget that other people living in that culture are also learning about you. It was really great to have Giada tell us that we were the nicest and most cultured group of Americans she has ever met. It means a lot to heat that we represented our country in a good way.

The food in Volterra has certainly been my favorite in Italy and I'm reluctant to say I'm not sure when I'll ever be back here to enjoy a meal again. I'm really going to miss this authenticity... Tomorrow it's off to Venice and I have a TON of packing to do!  I have to pack my bag for Venice, Roma, and HOMA (hehe) all tonight... it's going so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment